Potatoes are the side dish that goes with everything, right? Mash, butter, gravy, done. Well, here's our take on those starchy favourites that will make your mouth very, very happy. Our wonderful addition? Chicken skin.
1 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced in wedges 2/3 cup reserved chicken fat from a roast chicken (duck fat also works wonderfully) 1 cup Spanish onions, sliced 1/2 lb. raw chicken skins, sliced 1 tbsp. garlic, minced 1 tbsp. rosemary/thyme, finely chopped salt and pepper to taste
The key difference (besides the chicken skins!) between these roast potatoes and traditional ones is the amount of fat used and the length of cooking. The potatoes should be almost shallow-frying in the roast pan, not just tossed in fat. Don’t worry, the majority of fat remains in the pan and can be reused in the future.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place potatoes, chicken skins and chicken fat in a large roast pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to oven and roast for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and carefully toss potatoes with a thin edged spatula. Return to oven for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and carefully toss potatoes again with a thin edged spatula.
- Add onions and return to oven for another 20 minutes.
- Repeat process again, this time adding herbs and garlic. Roast for another 15 minutes. Potatoes and skins should be gorgeous and brown.
- Drain and serve.